Thursday, July 14, 2011

Bristol....Is it a racist city?

I've visited Bristol a few times and think it's a great city, and have recently applied for a position advertised for a post there. However, I'm concerned that when I've told friends and colleagues about my possible move they've all said Birstol is really racist. When I've visited Bristol, I was surprised by the amount of white people:-but then I come from a very diverse city in the midlands that is known for being multi-cultural so I assumed that's probably just how other cities were. I didn't feel like I got any funny looks or anything....but then again, I'm Euroasian and only mid toned so a lot of people assume I'm either maybe Spanish/Italian, half thai or even just a dark featured white person (so maybe that's why I didn't get any looks/comments). People have told me that it's a deeper kind of racism there, more institutionalized. I am worried as my potential job would involve dealing with the public so any racist attitudes among the general public would affect me. But then it could all be untrue. People of Bristol, what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment